Friday, August 30, 2013

Tamalpa Headlands 50k (no 50k for me)!

08/19/2013
Monday - 1.5 mile warm-up and flag football at lunch.  We LOST by a point, 32-31... booted out of the semi's


08/20/2013
Tuesday - rest day


08/21/2013
Wednesday - Played a few hours worth of sand volleyball after work, always fun.


08/22/2013
Thursday - I decided that the odds of me having an enjoyable experience during the majority of the Tamalpa Headlands 50k, were low.  I decided to withdraw from the race.  Regardless, camping!


08/23/2013
Friday - Drove out to the Olema Ranch Campground, near Pt. Reyes and met up with a fairly large pile of Folsom Trail Runners.  Let the good times roll.


08/24/2013
Saturday - Woke up at 6 AM, stirred up a little breakfast and drove my pals to the race start.  We saw the runners head out of the starting area, then cheered them on at the .75 mile mark, and headed over to Muir Beach Overlook for a wee bit of sightseeing before going to the Cardiac aid station (mile 19.5 and ~27), where we would volunteer for the majority of the race.

Shortly before the lead runners arrived, I decided to take a little trip up to the Mt. Tamalpais summit.  During my little run, I felt strong and started regretting my decision to skip out on the 50k.  I wondered if the reason I had been feeling a little on the weak side during my recent longer runs, was that they were typically above 9k ft. elevation.  However, in retrospect, my training wasn't where it typically is for a 50k and the Tamalpa course is no joke.  I think I've left myself in much better shape to run a strong CIM in December, which is a goal I set for myself this year.

I had a great time camping and hangout out with my FTR people this weekend!


08/25/2013
Sunday - Did some sightseeing/driving around Pt. Reyes.  Saw some tule elk, ran a mile to scout out a beach.

Weekly Totals: 6.6 miles; +1,031 ft.

Campfire!

Pre-race!

Post-race!

Dinner!

Bar trip!
Tule Elk!


No comments: